Re: Filesystem type survives formatting in debian installer?

On Fri, March 2, 2007 1:17, Josef Wolf said:
> The error occures on the first reboot (before any of my scripts
> mentioned above come into the game).
>
>   fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve 'UUID=xxxxxxxxx'
>   fsck died with exit status 8

If you get this error on the first reboot, then you have already managed
to hose something prior to the first reboot. As far as I know the ubuntu
initramfs scripts default to identifying the root fs via the UUID. If the
disk somehow managed to get two signatures (i.e. if the crypto one
remained for some reason), the ext3 signature would still be ok and you
wouldn't get the above error message...

> Then I get dropped into the initramfs shell:
>
>   # mount /dev/hda7 /mnt
>   mount: unknown filesystem type 'crypto_LUKS'
>   # mount -t ext3 /dev/hda7 /mnt
>   #

There is something wrong with your scripts. I have verified that mkfs.ext3
does remove the LUKS signature from a device, so somehow you have actually
setup a crypto filesystem on /dev/hda7 at some stage or you haven't
actually created an ext3 fs on /dev/hda7 at some stage.

Anyhow, your approach seems quite fragile and contains some potential for
information leaks, may I suggest that you work with the Ubuntu community
to get the Debian crypto features (partman-crypto, partman-auto-crypto,
cryptsetup-udeb and cryptsetup with initramfs scripts) properly ported to
Ubuntu's version of the installer?

Perhaps Colin Watson could point you in the right direction...

--
David Härdeman