Re: Booting Problem 3.1r5

On Thursday 22 February 2007 09:44, Jonathan Steel wrote:
> I downloaded the first Debian 3.1r5 CD (binary 1) via bittorrent
> yesterday. I installed it on my laptop using the 2.6 kernel and after
> the laptop rebooted, the last message on the screen was 'booting
> kernel' and then it froze. I then tried installing with the 2.4 kernel
> and it was fine. I tried the 2.6 kernel a few times but I got the same
> problem each time.

If your laptop is a fairly recent model then chances are it is not very
well supported by the Sarge 2.6 kernel. I'd suggest you try the Etch
installer [1], which uses a much more recent kernel.

If that still fails, try if booting with one or more of the following
parameters works: noapic, nolapic, noacpi.