Re: Will we be releasing some day?

   * To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
   * Subject: Re: Will we be releasing some day?
   * From: Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
   * Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 00:48:54 -0800
   * Cc: debian-release@lists.debian.org

 "The need for GPL compliance in the face of version skew between the kernel
 debs and the installer were a major reason why, *pre-sarge*, the kernel
 packages had support added for rolling back to any previous Debian
 patchlevel.  I've just verified that yes, this code is still present in the
 current linux-2.6 package: if you install linux-source-2.6.18, you will get
 a linux-patch/usr/src/kernel-patches/all/2.6.18/apply/debian script that
 lets you specify, with a -R option, the exact patchlevel you want to
 recreate, so that reproducing previous versions of the linux-2.6 tree is as
 trivial as possible."

Has anyone tested that this still works post
linux-2.6_2.6.18.dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz ie since the DFSG orig.tgz !

Presumably the -R option for post linux-2.6_2.6.18.dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz
will only work for revisiones with teh same
linux-2.6_2.6.18.dfsg.1.orig.tar.gz ???

Any experts want to comment?

Alex Owen