Problems installing in M$ virtual machine (was: Link doesn't work)

On Friday 16 February 2007 00:53, Menno wrote:
> I'm not sure I'm adressing a Dutch person right now so I'll write my
> mail in English :-)

Almost all "regular" Debian mailing lists are in English, so good choice.
You should only use other languages on language-specific mailing lists.

This is not really the correct mailing list for this question, as you
could have seen from http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/. The best you
could have done is to file an installation report [1].
For now, I'm moving this thread to the debian-boot mailing list. Please
reply _only_ to that list.

> 2. There I went to:
> <http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-dvd/>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-dvd/
>
> 3. And there I clicked in the ISO files.
> Result: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Seems to work fine for me. Note that you probably should not click the
iso, but right-click and use "save as".

The images are not corrupt. Either you are doing something wrong, or the
program you use to download the image can't handle large files.
For DVDs, using jigdo or bittorrent is very much preferred anyway!

> Because when I try to install it on a Microsoft Virtual Machine (to
> test it first) I says it can't read from the cd-rom!

To check if your image is correct, check its md5sum.
See http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/. That answers a lot of basic questions.

> After a few setup screens I get the warning that it can't read from the
> CD. I get this message when he's "loading the components for the Debian
> Installer".

That can mean a lot of things. One of them could be that the linux kernel
does not support the CD controller that the virtual machine offers.
Try switching to VT2 (using alt-F2) after the error message and run the
command 'dmesg'. See if it mentions anything about the CD-ROM drive.

Also, send us the output of 'lspci -nn' for the virtual machine.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s03.html#submit-bug