Re: Extending accessibility support in D-I for Lenny

Samuel Thibault wrote:
Hi,

Frans Pop, le Wed 14 Feb 2007 04:10:31 +0100, a écrit :

During the World Free Software Conference 3.0 (that bubulle, tbm and I attended in Extremadura last week) I spoke with Willie Walker who works for Sun on Accessibility and Speech.

Willie is the lead man behind ORCA [1], which works with GTK and could thus possibly be integrated in the graphical installer.

One good thing of this would be to have speech accessibility without the
need for having a speakup-patched kernel (though that would be useful
too).

I just installed ORCA (actually i wasn't able to test it because it crashed), but already during the installation process i become worried about the many dependancies orca brings in. It depends, roughly, from python, parts of the gnome desktop and other auxiliary libraries, and actually none of trem is already available in the d-i (they would take some additional megs on the installer ISO). I'd like also to point out that the graphical installer is pure GTK+, no GNOME components are present inthe instaler: would ORCA still apply in such an environment? During the developmente of the g-i we pot great efforts in minimizing overall footprint of the graphical system, so isn't inclusion of such a big set of packages going into the opposite direction ? I'd really like to know how big we want the Lenny installer to be, as the answer to this question also affects other ongoing projects, like that of having a graphical (VTE) console in the installer. In this specific case i considered the 600 KB required by the VTE widget too much for the installer.

regards

Attilio Fiandrotti