Re: Scheduling linux-2.6 2.6.18-9

Hi Frederik,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 06:08:08PM +0100, Frederik Schueler wrote:

> I would like to schedule the upload of the next linux-2.6 2.6.18
> version, with the following changes:

> 1. new vserver patch, breaks ABI
> 2. new Xen patch
> 3. Activate PAE on i386 Xen subarch, breaks ABI
> 4. arm changes
> 5. 2.6.18.5 ABI breaking patch (Honour source routing for LVS-NAT)

> This update bears 3 ABI breaking changes. While the vserver patch might
> be adaptable, the PAE migration of i386 Xen is not. But we need this
> change as a workaround for #399113, otherwise the i386 Xen kernels will
> be broken in the release, and require an immediate update.
> And since we are already planning an ABI bump, we can add the missing
> changeset of 2.6.18.5, too.

The first two ABI changes are specific to extra kernel flavors that aren't
relevant to the installer and have few (if any?) extra modules built for
them.  If these were the only ABI changes to go in, I would certainly advise
making the change *without* changing the package names, because I don't
think the work involved would be justified, and it would almost certainly
delay the release.

Which means that under those circumstances, I would also suggest not adding
the 2.6.18.5 ABI-breaking patch for etch.

I know these suggestions aren't going to please everyone, but having
distinguishing package names for *unreleased* ABI changes is not RC, and the
difference between the two paths will be significant for getting d-i RC2
released quickly so that we can push on with the release.

> 2 more things are outstanding:

> 1. a new orig.tar.gz without undistributable firmwares, in order to
>    satisfy the recent GR on this issue
> 2. amd64 kernels for i386

Glad to know that these are still on your radar. :)

Thanks,