Re: Previously working LVM setup mysteriously broken.

On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 09:33:33AM +0100, Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org> was heard to say:
>  some trivia first:
>  - Debian's lilo is patched with an unofficial patch for device-mapper
>    support which was not updated since mid 2005
>  - Debian just hits the problem, but it seems to be a common problem if
>    I look at google queries; see also:
>    https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/lilo-installer/+bug/23835
>
>  The conclusion of most threads / (open) bug reports / forums is that
>  you should not have /boot on md / lvm / whatever, but since this used
>  to work, I suppose we are somehow bound to continue supporting this.

  If that's the case, the installer team needs to print a much bigger
warning.  As of a month or two ago, they just say you can't use Grub for
boot-on-raid, but that Lilo works (that's how I got my system set up).

  As an irrelevant aside, I actually tried to set up a separate /boot with
grub and/or lilo, but neither seemed to be able to handle that configuration
at all (I don't remember why at the moment; I think it smelled like some weird
Epia idiosyncracy).

  Daniel