Re: g5 noise issue in RC1 - patch for the errata

On Saturday 02 December 2006 13:01, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Saturday 02 December 2006 11:13, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Thursday 30 November 2006 16:42, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > > +               <li>on G5 imacs the fans are very loud, switch to a
> > > different +               console and run <a
> > > href="http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/trunk/packages/rootskel/src/li
> > >b/de
> > > bian-installer-startup.d/S05fancontrol-linux-powerpc?op=file&sc=1">
> > >these commands</a> to make them silent.</li>
> >
> > I don't understand this patch as in RC1 that file did not exist, so
> > it can hardly be run.
>
> Exactly. Thats why you need to download that script and execute it
> manually. "run these commands to make them silent."

That's broken.
1) It is absolutely not clear to a reader of this erratum that he needs to
download anything
2) There is no need for users to run all the commands in that script as
only some of the modules will be relevant for his system
3) It does not explain how to get the relevant module udeb installed in
the installer in the first place

I'd much prefer just to mention the problem and say it has been fixed in
daily images and to use those instead.