Re: switching frontend on the fly

Geert Stappers wrote:
Op 25-11-2006 om 14:39 schreef Attilio Fiandrotti:

Geert Stappers wrote:

Op 25-11-2006 om 11:31 schreef Jérôme Marant:

I didn't know that you could change the frontend on the fly.
So you interrupted it right after installing the libc and
restarted after changing the frontend?

I'm also curious about how to switch the frontend.

My use case for it is running d-i on a slow (e.g. old) computer
which default starts with newt frontend and switching to text frontend
would allow the CPU to spend it's power on d-i rather then
redrawing/updating the screen.

While debugging the g-i i often used tricks like this, but i'm not 100% sure killing the installer while a d-i component runs is a safe practice. I noticed that killing the partitioner causes the system to hang, while other components (e.g. network configurator etc..) can be killed and then restarted later without noticeable issues. Geert, maybe it's safer passing something like DEBIAN_FRONTEND=text to the kernel while preseeding ? Honestly i dunno if using thetxt frontend instead of newt will save a lot of memory, but for sure using newt instead of gtk will save a lot of space in initrd and memory at runtime. If you need to do remote installations you could use the web frontend i wrote, which should offer a low cpu/memory/space overhead.

Can the web frontend be activated on the fly?

yes, like any other frontend

cheers

attilio