Re: IMPORTANT: Significant changes to CD/DVD build setup

Frans Pop wrote:
> I'm not so sure that having two builds is really that good an idea. In
> almost all cases the images will be virtually identical, especially with
> regard to d-i. And as we're only talking about small images, the number
> of debs included is relatively small.

> However, if there are problems with an image, having new images created so
> quickly may cause confusion when trying to reproduce a problem: when we
> download an image ourselves the chance will be much bigger that it won't
> be the same image.

Conversely, I'm very much in favour of building twice a day (although I
would prefer 4 to 6 times a day, or in an ideal world a new image
shortly after anything changes -- as is done in debian-edu). As I said
a long time ago on http://wiki.debian.org/RunDinstallHourly:

  This is something I particularly want for the DebianInstaller. It's much
  easier to send someone a regular deb for testing than it is to locally
  build a debian installation image containing a fixed d-i udeb. Moreover,
  it can take up to three daily cycles for some d-i changes to filter
  though to a state that they can be easily tested for users, so it's not
  uncommon to tell someone who reports a bug on d-i that "I've fixed that
  in svn; try again next Wednesday". Which slows things down a lot, and
  increases the probability that by next Wednesday the user will have
  worked around the bug and put their machine in production, and be
  reluctant to reinstall it.

As to the points about testing the wrong image, the fact is that this is
already often a problem; users download the daily build, burn it to a
CD, and then get distracted for a day before installing it, or sending
in a report. Or users happen to be in Australia[1], download the daily
build before lunch, and test it after lunch, during which a new
"nightly" build happened. Or nobody gets around to responding to an
installation report for a day or two. It seems to me that the only
actual fix for this is better reporting of the actual build date of the
installer, and of the versions of the udebs used, which
installation-report tries to do.

I'm now running my i386 builds twice daily to match the CD builds, at
10:50 and 22:50 GMT, FWIW.

--
see shy jo

[1] Or whatever timezone is really appropriate for this scenario.