Re: [RFC] Detecting type of CD image and using that to make apt-setup smarter

Frans Pop wrote:
> In debian-cd/tools/add_debs add something like (pseudocode):
> if [ $COMPLETE = 1 ]; then
>    if [ $DEFBINSIZE -gt 1000]; then
>       echo "dvd" > .disk/cd_type
>    else
>       echo "full_cd" > .disk/cd_type
>    fi
> else
>    echo "not_complete" > .disk/cd_type
> fi

I guess this heuristic is the best we can do.

>    full_cd)
>       # default to not use mirror (unless preseeded), ask at high priority
>       # rationale for asking: full CD image lacks loads of components
>       # for desktop; this could be changed when we support installing
>       # from multiple CDs

Also, the full CD lacks some tasks entirely.

I think defaulting to using a mirror (and still asking at high priority)
might actually be better; it's a better default unless the user wants to
avoid touching the network.

>    dvd)
>       # default to not use mirror (unless preseeded), ask at low priority

Unsure. The dvd alone will be fine for desktop and other common tasks,
but it might be missing some packages from lesser tasks such as language
tasks. Might be better to ask at high priority and default to not using
the network.

--
see shy jo