Re: Creating a bootable CD for a RS/6000 PReP machine

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 08:47:37AM -0800, asdf wrote:
> --- Attilio Fiandrotti <attilio.fiandrotti@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Why don't you try netbooting? this should work, even if i never
> > tested
> > this myself.
> > When i installaed woody on my 43p/140 some years ago i used floppies
> > and
> > a serial console: i guess this should work for sarge (and etch?) too.
> >

> Hi Attilio,
>
> I'd prefer to avoid booting from floppies if I can, they are just so
> darned unreliable! If I am unable to boot the installer from CD, I just
> might have to try floppies.

d-i doesn't actually support booting from floppies, and indeed, the debian
kernels for prep don't even fit on floppies.

netboot is the only way which is really tested and known to work.

> Another option would be to try and boot from the hard-disk directly by
> downloading all the d-i installer files but I couldn't find
> instructions on how to do this.

This is an option indeed. But the prep boxes can only boot from harddisk from
a prep partition, so you would have to prepare a disk extra for this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther