Re: how to control/override dev assigment 3ware and USB

On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 05:25:13PM -0700, RParr wrote:

> I am still unable to get Debian installed on this machine.
>
> I AM able to boot Knoppix LiveCD and NOT have any device conflicts.
> Knoppix (5.0.1) assigns the 3ware /dev/sde and the USB card reader as
> /dev/sda, sdb, sdc, and sdd and thus has no conflict.
>
> I used the Debian netinst to boot into rescue mode, change the apt
> sources.list from etch to sid and dist-upgrade.  That went well and the
> system is now booting the 2.6.17 kernel but still freezing because
> /dev/sde is reassigned.
>
> I have already edited /etc/default/bootlogd to enable boot logging but I
> get no logs.
>
> 1) Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can log the initial boot up
> stuff and figure out if something is getting assigned to /dev/sda (and
> thus starting the USB reading at /dev/sdb) or if the USB assignment is
> just wrong.
>
> 2) Does anyone know how best to prevent the USB drive assignments from
> happening.

Hi,

You can "blacklist" a module, so that it's not going to be automatically loaded by
udev, even if a device is present. To do that, assuming the name of the module is
foo, you should create an arbitrarily named file in /etc/modprobe.d directory,
with contents

blacklist foo

You can (hopefully) try to blacklist modules usbcore, ehci_hcd and uhci_hcd to
disable USB devices. To be honest, I don't think that device naming conflict is
responsible for the hang, but so far I have no clue what might cause it. What CD
image are you using? What are the last messages on the screen that you see?

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org