Re: non-free firmware and d-i

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 12:36:00PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > Can people please have a look and comment? I'd like to avoid some
> > specific GR by making whatever is going to be voted upon moot ;-)
> We should have a way of doing the same thing, only with a custom network
> source.  Probably not a hard thing to do.
> Otherwise, looks fine.
> But you may be reinventing bits of d-i.

Yes; I noticed that too, in the mean time.

> Perhaps the correct structure is this:  after choosing "Customization
> modules", the user gets a menu of possible places to get them from (CD,
> USB, floppy, net, etc.).

Chickening out of the hard work, we could just limit this list to
CD-ROM, floppy, or network. The list of retrievers is limited to that

Main problem is going to be the fact that currently, every installation
image contains just one or two retrievers, not more. As a result, you
can't download modules from the network when doing a CD-ROM based
install, nor can you install modules from CD-ROM when doing a
network-based install.

Personally, this is the only feature that boot-floppies had while d-i
doesn't that I would *love* to see again. It'd be great to be able to
mount a CD or DVD-ROM in a machine, run apache off of it, copy the
initrd images to a TFTP server, and install a bunch of machines over the
network. With boot-floppies, this was possible; with d-i, it isn't.

But I digress.

> However, your implementation has the advantage of being simpler and less
> dependent on complicated setup of the customization discs.

Not really. I always saw the CD-ROM stuff as intended for manufacturers
who want to support Debian installations with their official driver
CD-ROM; it's not unreasonable to request some more from them than from
J. Random User who downloads udebs, puts them on a floppy, crosses his
fingers, and boots the installer.

> Let's prove that Joey's six month estimate is wrong by doing it in less time
> even though we don't understand d-i very well.  :-)

I'm not so sure anymore his estimate is wrong; but, hey, let's try.

Fun will now commence