Re: grub2 on powerpc

On Sun, Sep 17, 2006 at 12:10:53PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> > ofpathname is part of the ibm-powerpc-utils package (not the same as the
> > package currently in debian), and Aurelien Gerome is packaging it, since
> > yaboot also needs it over the kind-of-broken ofpath found in the yaboot code,
> > so this should be less an issue than you think.
>
> Is grub2 usable without it?  If it's not, we'd rather remove powerpc from the
> arch list for now.  We don't want to provide a broken build do we? :)

Well, as it will be uploaded ASAP, and the only problem will be NEW, it should
be no major problem, please don't remove it just now yet. It is not the
default, so breakage will only come to those who know what they do.

Also, it will be an error at grub2 install time, not run time, and you should
maybe do like yaboot-installer, check an absence of ofpathname, and then
either try to use yaboot's ofpath, and if this one returns empty, abort and
inform the user.

Notice that the grub2/powerpc port was done over a year ago on a pegasos
machine donated for that purpose, and that the guys porting opensolaris on
powerpc use it as their main bootloader, and i have seen it turn a year or so
back on both a dual power3 IBM pseries/rs6k, as well as on a powermac, and on
a pegasos.

Friendly,

Sven Luther