Re: New cdebconf facility allowing simpler translated choices

On Mon, Sep 11, 2006 at 06:39:41PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> I've added this feature to cdebconf in trunk:
>
>   * Allow Choices-C to be listed separately from Choices (etc.) in templates
>     files. This lets you say "Choices: ${CHOICES-TRANS}" and "Choices-C:
>     ${CHOICES}" to substitute reliably into translated and untranslated
>     templates without having to ensure that ${CHOICES-TRANS} is translated
>     to the same thing in every language.
>
> (Note that this will not be available until cdebconf 0.106 is built and
> daily initrd builds are refreshed to include it.)

I've also now added the same feature to debconf 1.5.5 (unreleased).
Joey, I'd appreciate a quick review of both these changes, if you get a
chance.

> To take an example, here's a template from kbd-chooser:

As far as I can see, kbd-chooser is the only part of d-i that dealt with
the lack of this feature by means of a mandated translation in all
languages, but there are other components that have worked around this
in other ways. Notably, partman does some really horrible stuff to
handle reverse translation of choices itself, and basically anything
that substitutes human-readable strings into Choices fields could have
its code and preseeding simplified by using Choices-C effectively.
Normally speaking, Choices-C should contain identifiers that are
convenient for use in code and preseeding, while Choices and Choices-$LL
etc. should contain human-readable strings.

Cheers,