Re: RFC: countrychooser and IP location

On 10/09/06, Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
Robert Millan wrote:
> +iplocated_country=`wget -q http://api.hostip.info/country.php -O - | head -c 2`

This is a third-party point of failure. Altough your code does
gracefully degrade if it fails. Would Debian be able to run this service
itself if we decided to use this? Or would that be a bad idea? Just
curious.

Wasn't geoip[1][ supposed to be something which did some location <->
IP association?

Anyway, I rather like the idea of doing IP location, but I lean more
toward only using the info to override the user's country in mirror
selection, rather than overriding the whole countrychooser. For one
thing, it wouldn't need to ask the user an insulting question ("do you
know what country you're in?") if the iplocated country was only used to
change the default mirror.

[1] http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/geoip-bin

--
Regards,