[SRM] Re: Latest sarge sparc32 netboot image problems

On Friday 01 September 2006 06:23, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> JFYI, the current sarge sparc32 netboot 2.4 image downloaded from
>
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-sparc/current/i
>mages/sparc32/netboot/boot.img
>
> fails to load the network modules due to missing crc32_* symbols. The
> module providing these symbols appears to be missing from initrd. The
> 2.6 netboot image downloaded from the same location appears to have
> screwed-up display (no pseudographics) and hangs during the device
> detection while loading sd_mod module on my SS20.

Looks like the building of kernel udebs for sparc32 needs a bit more care.
Most likely cause is documented in line 24/25 here:
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/d-i/branches/d-i/sarge/packages/kernel/linux-kernel-di-sparc/debian/changelog?op=blame&rev=0&sc=0

I have added an erratum on [1] for this issue (new page may not yet be
generated).

Definitely something to fix with r4. IIUC SRM are planning to have another
d-i release with r4 using an updated kernel.

Another issue that needs to be addressed is the build problems of the
installation guide on some arches when it calls w3c. The m68k porters
said they had traced that. Not sure if a BR/patch has been submitted.

Cheers,
FJP

[1]http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/index.en.html#errata