Re: non-free firmware and d-i

Did you see my post on -vote about it? <20060823181559.GA1093@kitenet.net>

> I'll call "customization disks" for the time being: a low-priority d-i
> menu item (on the same level as the "start a shell" option) which, when
> activated, allows the user to load additional udebs from a floppy disk,
> a usb key, a CD-ROM disk, or whatever.

d-i already supports driver disks, see floppy-retriever and the code in
hw-detect to prompt for a driver floppy if necessary hardware is not
detected.

Even extending this to support USB and CDs does not cover all cases, my
outline in the post above includes some points where this approach will
fail.

--
see shy jo