Re: memtest before install?

On Wed, Aug 30, 2006 at 03:02:08PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting W. Borgert (debacle@debian.org):
> > Hi,
> >
> > is it (or will it be) possible to check the RAM for errors
> > before actually doing an installation with d-i? Either as
> > optional step in the d-i menu or as additional boot target
> > for the syslinux boot prompt? Thanks for comments.
> >

> That would mean adding some new stuff to the initrd. I'm not sure that
> the size constraints we have really allow this.

You could just as easily do it after the additional .udeb loading, and before
the disk stuff. This would cause no change to the initrd, and be fully
optional.

> Apart from that, this would just be a matter of someone working on the
> right additionnal udeb....:-)

/me wonders if the memtest package is written in C, and then we could just ask
its maintainer to create a .udeb for it.

Friendly,

Sven Luther