Re: partman-crypto: reducing memory usage in d-i

On Sunday 20 August 2006 11:48, David Härdeman wrote:
> On a more general note: is this something that you'd like to see in d-i
> before the Etch release?

Yes, it is. It will help to reduce the minimum required memory a bit.
(Unless Christian keeps adding translations of course ;-)

> I think I'll add a naive check of the "MemFree" field in /proc/meminfo
> for now. If the memory seems low, it can warn the user that things may
> crash and let him choose to allow the installation to continue or to
> not use crypto.

OK.

> >Also, is there a possibility that the function will be called again
> > later? In that case it could be good to prevent running the memory
> > check and loading the modules a second time.
>
> Ok, I'll add a check for that. I thought that anna wouldn't re-install
> the udeb if called a second time.

No it probably won't. However, executing the memory check a second time
could result in an error even though the modules have already been
loaded. It seems cleaner to me to have the test anyway.

> >Finally, wasn't there some code that checked if everything was
> > available before offering a method? Does that still work with this
> > change?
>
> The previous suggestion tried to load all methods as soon as crypto was
> chosen for any partition. This leads to additional downloads (since you
> will probably only want to use one method), memory usage and waiting.

The reason I asked is that anna will probably not complain if dependencies
are not available and thus I think you have to check if they really were
loaded some other way. I'm not completely sure about this though, but
suggest you keep it in mind.