Re: partman-auto-crypto

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 11:20:03PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
Hi David,

Glad to see you back from holidays.

One general note: we really do have to be careful with this. As we are now working towards RC releases of d-i, we cannot afford to implement really risky changes.

Understood

The initial feedback from beta 3 shows there is still some work to do on partman-crypto itself, so I'm fairly happy we made the decision to not offer p-a-c yet. There are also some important open issues for LVM itself. I'd rather spend energy on perfecting the base functionality than on adding p-a-c if we have to choose what to do before Etch.

I agre that it was good to have partman-crypto alone in beta3, it generated much more feedback and it seems that most issues have been resolved.

As far as I know, the major outstanding issue is that of keyboard input. Currently it seems that d-i does not allow UTF8 input which means that passphrases with non-ascii characters won't work after reboot into the newly installed system.

So it would really be nice to have a fix for #365308 which has been open since April and affects other parts of d-i as well (such as username input).

Oh, and we need a more thorough check for unencrypted swap.

Are you aware of any other major partman-crypto issues not in the BTS?

As for lvm, I don't see any new bugs against partman-lvm, what issues are you referring to?

I'd also very much hate it if we would find we had important regressions in partman for RC1 because of rushing implementation of p-a-c and partman-auto RAID support.

There is always post-Etch to implement major new features...

Another alternative is to not change the partman-auto main menu at all. The menu might get crowded but that is mostly an issue with > 2 disks which is not a very common scenario. This would allow p-a-c to be added without any changes (the issue of overcrowding is orthogonal to p-a-c IMHO, p-a-c just makes the problem more immediate).

This was my original plan before you brought up the issue of crowding the menu :)