partman-auto-crypto

Hi all,

I'd like to start working on getting partman-auto-crypto into d-i again. As far as I know there are two outstanding issues:

1) Swap on LVM in partman-auto-lvm

I sent an RFC on this more than a month ago. Not much discussion resulted, I got a few positive comments and no negative comments. Is this ok to commit?

2) Concerns over an overcrowded partman-auto menu

FJP suggested in the RFC thread on partman-auto-crypto that the partman-auto main menu might need to change to accomodate the large number of options. The following example was given:

<example>
Manually edit partition table

SCSI1 (0.0.0) (sda) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
  Erase entire disk and create new partitions
  Erase entire disk; use LVM for new partitions
  Erase entire disk; use LVM for new encrypted partitions
SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdb) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
  Erase entire disk and create new partitions
  Erase entire disk; use LVM for new partitions
  Erase entire disk; use LVM for new encrypted partitions
</example>

However, I think that we should split it into two screens:

<example>
Manually edit partition table
Erase disk and create new partitions
Erase disk(s); use LVM for new partitions
Erase disk(s); use LVM for new encrypted partitions
<example>

If you select "Erase disk and create new partitions" you'd then get:

<example>
Please select the disk to erase:

SCSI1 (0.0.0) (sda) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdb) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdc) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
</example>

Where you can select a single disk, whereas the "Erase disk(s); use LVM for new partitions" would show:

<example>
Please select the disk(s) to erase and use with LVM:

[*] SCSI1 (0.0.0) (sda) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
[ ] SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdb) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
[ ] SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdc) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
</example>

This allows multiple disks to be used for LVM or RAID and should simplify the preseeding to use two values: method and disks to use.

Not something that is very important to me though, as long as some progress can be made on adding partman-auto-crypto :)

Comments?

Regards,
David