Re: partman-auto-crypto

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 04:29:26PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
2) Concerns over an overcrowded partman-auto menu
... However, I think that we should split it into two screens:

<example>
Manually edit partition table
Erase disk and create new partitions
Erase disk(s); use LVM for new partitions
Erase disk(s); use LVM for new encrypted partitions
<example>

If you select "Erase disk and create new partitions" you'd then get:

<example>
Please select the disk to erase:

SCSI1 (0.0.0) (sda) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdb) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdc) - 2.1 GB VMware, ...
</example>

This feels backwards. It asks the user to select what to do with a disk,
before they select the disk. I understand why you're doing that; we
don't want to have a multiselect list of disks unless LVM or RAID was
selected, especially since users find multiselects confusing. Still, I
think that asking the questions backwards like this is not good UI.

How about this:

<example>
Select a disk to autopartition, or advanced partitioning option:

Manually edit the partition table

Erase disk: SCSI1 (0.0.0) (sda) - 2.1 GB ...
Erase disk: SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdb) - 2.1 GB ...
Erase disk: SCSI2 (0.0.1) (sdc) - 2.1 GB ...

Set up LVM
Set up LVM with encrypted partitions
Set up a RAID array
</example>

I personally find it even more confusing to have disks listed on both the first and second menu.

I don't find it confusing to have first a question on the action to take, and then a question related to the object which the action should be performed upon.

Perhaps rewording the first menu and having the warning that the disks will be erased in the second menu would make things clearer? We could also stress which methods are automated and which are not a bit more. Something like this:
<example>
Manually edit partition table
Automatically partition a disk
Automatically partition disk(s) using LVM
Automatically partition disk(s) using encrypted LVM
</example>

Anyway, as I said, as long as there is a decision so that I can go ahead, I'm happy. The UI is not my main interest here :)

Regards,
David