Installation hangs up during Retrieving bsdmaintils

I do not know if this is the proper forum for this concern or not, but I'm going to report a problem.

During installation of Debian etch I ran into a problem.  I downloaded the ISO file from debian.org web site and burn a CD.  This procedure went without a hitch.  I then inserted a CD in the computer I want to use and powered on.  Everything went smoothly and as expected until we came to the "Installing Base System".  Specifically, the "retrieving bsdmaiandtils" of the "Installing Base System" portion of the installation program.  At this point, with about 6% of the file retrieved, the computer hung up.  The light on the CD-ROM was on indicating the wrong was being access, but nothing else happened.  I waited for over one and a half hours and still nothing happened there is no change in the information displayed on the screen.  At that point I shut the computer off and remove the CD.

I then went to the debian.org web site and downloaded a new ISO file.  I burned this file to a CD and inserted it in the computer and powered the computer on.  I had a repeat of my earlier experience.

Because I am new to Linux and Debian I am using an old computer that I had sitting around gathering dust.  It is a day in 1998 IBM Aptiva E26.  It has an ADM K6-233 processor.

Debian seemed to detect a hard drive and all other hardware without a problem.  It also identified the network and configure the network without a problem.

If you have any suggestions on how to remedy this problem complete the installation of Debian I would be more than happy to hear them.  I really would like to get Debian installed so that I can learn how to use it properly.

Thank you for your consideration and assistance.

Gary Kassander

gkas@gmkassociates.net