Re: Help installing source udebs

(Please keep the discussion on the list.

On Saturday 12 August 2006 20:19, Chris Carr wrote:
> > To use a custom version of a udeb in an image, don't use a local
> > sources list, but rather use the localudebs directory.
>
> Yes, I understand that now - but how to get them there? And how to edit
> them once they are there?

You copy any modified udebs there manually after you have built it.

Note that a udeb in localudebs will only be included if it is "needed" for
the image you are building. That is determined by what is in the
pkg-lists directory.

> Well, that paper explains some stuff about the installer and build
> process, which is good, but I can't find anything about making changes
> to udebs (sorry if I have overlooked something).
>
> Maybe there is a package building HOWTO I should read? Do I need
> experience building a normal .deb package before I try mucking about
> with udebs? I am not a Debian hacker - I know how to install and
> administer it, and how to report bugs if packages are broken, but I
> have never built any packages.

Well, you will indeed have to learn a few basic things about building
packages from source. The basic steps are:
- install some basic tools: 'aptitude install build-essential devscripts'
- get the source (svn co ....)
- cd to the package you want to modify (e.g. cd packages/hw-detect);
  this is the "base" directory for the package
- install the build dependencies for that package; you can find out if you
  are missing any by using 'dpkg-checkbuilddeps'
- modify whatever files you need to modify
- build the package from the source using 'dpkg-buildpackage'
- the resulting package(s) will be the parent directory

Remember that I warned you right in the beginning that this would not be
really easy. Just keep asking questions when you get stuck, but try not
to get frustrated too much.
If you stick with it, you'll learn a lot.