Re: some problems with d-i (and g-i)

Em Sábado 12 Agosto 2006 05:36, Stefano Canepa escreveu:
> Il giorno ven, 11/08/2006 alle 22.57 -0300, Tiago Saboga ha scritto:
> > 3) The install went well, but later I installed windows in an empty
> > partition
> > and my grub passed away. So, I booted with the same mini-iso, option
> > rescue.
> > When I ask to "execute a shell in /dev/discs/disc0/part2", g-i says it
> > will
> > execute it, but doesn't do anything. I went to the terminal (c-a-f1),
> > and the
> > shell was there.
> >
> > But grub-install failed, and I can't mount the other partitions. So I
> > quit the
> > shell, with exit, and go back to g-i (manually, with alt-f5), where I
> > have a
> > message: "Error running shell in /target: A shell (/bin/sh -i) was
> > found on
> > your root filesystem (/dev/discs/disc0/part2)". It doesn't sound like
> > an
> > error, but if it says so...
> >
> > So I tried the other "rescue operation" applicable, "reinstall grub
> > loader",
> > told g-i to install it in (hd0) and the operation failed with exit
> > code 20.
> >
> > That's it. I reproduced all these steps in vmware, and I have 13
> > screenshots I
> > can send/upload if it helps.
> >
> > I can fill bug reports, but I would like to know first if I'm missing
> > something and against which packages to fill the report.
>
> Could you try to use d-i not g-i rescue?

Yes.

The shell in my root partition ran, but I could not mount /usr, grub-install
didn't work (this is imho a bug in grub-install, which depends on programs
in /usr). And the error message, when I close the shell, was much clearer:

Error running shell in /target: A shell (/bin/sh -i) was found on your root
filesystem (/dev/discs/disc0/part2), but an error occurred while running it.

Now I see the error is raised just because the last command in the shell
returned an error. The wording could be even clearer, though.

For the grub reinstall operation, the operation failed with the same error
(20). When d-i returns to the "enter rescue mode" box, it doesn't clear
the "Installing boot loader" box, which stays in the background, and if I try
after that to open a new shell in the chroot, I have the shell with the blue
background and "Installing GRUB boot loader" box laying around.

Tiago.