Re: debian-installer: Installation Testing on AMD64 is not working- no modules

On Monday 07 August 2006 12:22, Michael Fuckner wrote:
> I tried to install Debian Testing on an AMD64 using the netinst-iso
> from
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/amd64/
>iso-cd/ (from 4.Aug and 5.Aug 2006), but there are no modules for
> network cards.
>
> The directory /lib/modules/KERNELVERSION/kernel/drivers/net does not
> exist, so it is not possible to install via network.

I have just done an installation from a netinst image and it works fine
for me, so I think you must be confused about something:
- the netinst image is a CD image, so it is not intended for booting off
  the network, but only for burning to CD and booting off CD
- network driver modules are only loaded into the installation system
  after the first few installation steps, so .../drivers/net may well
  be not there immediately after you boot, but should be present at the
  point where it is needed
- if you want to do a network (PXE) boot, you should use the "netboot"
  image, not the netinst image

The other possibility is that the installer is failing to load modules
from CD, but in that case you should be getting error messages and you
don't mention any.

Cheers,
FJP