Re: OldWorld Mac-specific problems; perhaps drop?

On Thu, Jul 13, 2006 at 06:46:02PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 18:20, Sven Luther wrote:
> > initrd-tools used to be knoweldgeable about the root device, while
> > initramfs-tools doesn't and you have to give it explicitly.
> >
> > Try using yaird instead of initramfs-tools, and you will see this
> > problem going away.
>
> Which is not really a structural solution as initramfs-tools _is_ the
> default bootloader...

Indeed, the aim was to confirm that this is the solution to this bug.

> So, what needs to be changed to have a proper "root=<whatever>" parameter
> in the bootloader configuration? Or, if nobootloader is used, what needs
> to be added in the boot instructions there?

Yeah, but when using bootx, the user needs to set it by hand. I suppose
nobootloader gets chosen, and the ideal would that it could detect somehow
that we are running bootx, or simply that we are on an oldworld pmac, and then
give the info of what to do to the user (like we do currently on the pegasos).

Friendly,

Sven Luther