Re: mdadm heads-up: deprecating mdrun

also sprach martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> [2006.07.08.0008 +0200]:
> > Current unstable mdadm-udeb
> > ---------------------------
> > The array was _not_ listed as availble for mounting:
> > Log says:
> >    mdadm: --auto=yes requires a 'standard' md device name,
> >    not /dev/.tmp.md0
>
> This is an upstream limitation or feature, I have not yet found out.
> :)

Where does the name /dev/.tmp.md0 come from? mdadm definitely did
not create or come up with this, you can check the function
brief_examine_super[01] in super[01].c in the mdadm source code to
check.

> > Question is: is this an mdadm error or should we make sure that /dev/md
> > exists before calling mdadm?
>
> I do the latter in the initramfs script, where I've had the same
> problem.

It seems that upstream tends towards /dev/md/X to replace /dev/mdX,
but I am still waiting for confirmation. So yes, it may be that we
need to create /dev/md/.

`. `'`

... with a plastic cup filled with a liquid that was almost,
but not quite, entirely unlike tea.
            -- douglas adams, "the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy"