Network problems with testing using netinst CD-image

Hi,

I'm trying to install Debian testing (preferably sid) using the image:
debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso dated March 14. I cannot get the network
to function. Starting the installer in rescue mode and following the
menus, configuring the network manually (no DHCP in the local network)
and getting to: Fetching the release file the install halts after a
timeout! (some way to escape from here would be nice). Going to the
shell and looking at the modules loaded, the /etc/network/interfaces and
the /etc/resolv.conf files all seems OK, but no connection to the LAN or
the WAN via the gateway. Any hints? This setup works perfectly on this
box already: module tulip, local address:192.168.0.3,
netmask:255.255.255.0, gateway:192.168.0.1, DNS resolver supplied by
external addresses from the WAN via the gateway.

The only command connecting to the network I found is wget. No ping, ssh
etc. How to debug using wget only?

(Maybe I should get the netinst iso file from the daily builds to get
access to sid/unstable, but this is unimportant wrt the network.)

Thanks,
--
Svante Signell <svante.signell@telia.com>