Re: Solution for module problem

* Frans Pop [Sat, 24 Jun 2006 20:21:53 +0200]:

> On Saturday 24 June 2006 19:53, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > Disadvantages:

> Another potential disadvantage could be that one binary forces all users
> that need/want only one (related set) of those modules to install all of
> them.
> I guess that how much of a problem this is depends on what modules will be
> included in the binary and to what extend they will be autoloaded (by
> udev for example).

What about a binary package for each module source (e.g., loop-aes-modules),
which would contain the .ko files for each image flavour? I know it feels
"unnatural" at first, but it would still reduce the number of packages, does
not cause the behavior pointed out by Frans, and will be less space-whore
in users' system.

Think of it as similar to `dpkg -L libssl0.9.8 | grep libcrypto` (four
copies of the library are provided on i386).

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

        Listening to: Joaquín Sabina - Benditos malditos (al pil al pil)