Re: Status of debian-installer for the native ppc64 port

On 06-Jun-19 17:17, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > Andreas, the powerpc 64bit archive may or may not be of interest, but since it
> > is perfectly ok to install a native powerpc 64bit system from the 32bit
> > installer, would your effort not be better invested in adding functionality to
> > the normal 32bit installer to select a 64bit archive and install that ?
>
> That might be supported in amd64 too and available for those people
> using netinst disks so we can opt what to do in those machines
> whithout need to have two disks.
>
> Am I right?

Yes, the same proposed 'cross-installation' feature could also be used
in the amd64 case, i.e. the i386 installer could be used to install
the amd64 port.

This would be a useful feature, but I think it should be
implemented as an additional installation option - not as
a full replacement for a native 64-bit installer.

I do not like the idea to abandon the native 64-bit amd64 or ppc64
ports of d-i even if such a 'cross-installation' would be implemented.

Regards
Andreas Jochens