Re: [HELP] Is separate lib package needed for libcairo directfb variant

Frans Pop wrote:
Hi all,

Dave Beckett is preparing a new release of libcairo2 (see [1]) after a request from the Debian Installer team to add a udeb compiled against the directfb backend and not against the X backend. This udeb will be used by the d-i team for the graphical installer.

<snip>

This is also where it gets really complex as compiling pango specifically against libcairo2-directfb would imply that we also need a separate variant of pango, but so far we've been running a "normal" pango library against a cairo2-directfb library in the graphical installer without any obvious problems (like missing symbols).

It may be that we're missing obvious stuff here, so comments/suggestions from experienced library wizards are very welcome.

i'm not a library expert at all, so i may be wrong or missing something important, but pango should be totally indipendent from specific backends used by both cairo and gtk.

attilio@attilaptop:/usr/lib$ ldd libpango-1.0.so
        linux-gate.so.1 =>  (0xffffe000)
        libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0xa7e9b000)
        libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0xa7e97000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2 (0xa7e93000)
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0xa7e0b000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libm.so.6 (0xa7de5000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6 (0xa7cad000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x75555000)

we always used gtkdfb 2.0.9 library with the pango library provided by existing pango udeb, and judging from experiments both davide and i made with GTKDFB 2.9.x and GTKDFB 2.8.17, current standard pango udeb works well with more recent GTKDFB libraries too.

A libcairo2-directfb library deb could also be generally useful for other projects based on directfb.

i think embedded linux applications developers will greatly benefit of precompiled [gtk|cairo]dfb libraries

Attilio