Re: This is getting ridiculous ...

(CC'ing to d-private as the same misconception is seen there.)

On Saturday 17 June 2006 03:41, Anthony Towns wrote:
> As far as everyone else is concerned, this is a disagreement between
> Sven and Frans; and if Frans isn't willing to pretend that there's no
> problem and give Sven access to subversion, that may well be Sven's
> problem, or it might be Frans', or it might just be the way things are.
> Anyone who does think losing access to a repository puts you in a lower
> position is mistaken, and that includes Sven.

I strongly object to the fact that this issue keeps being reduced to a
problem between Sven and me. If other important members of the d-i team
(and people on other teams and within the project) did not have exactly
the same problems with Sven, I would never have taken this action.
Instead I would have asked someone else to take care of communicating
with Sven.
I am very disappointed that I seem to have to repeat this point.

The problem was that others within the d-i team had stopped communicating
with (or at least "listening to") Sven long before.

Also, Sven was repeatedly bringing up a subject in both the d-boot and
d-kernel mailinglists and IRC channels (a subject that basically only he
felt was a priority) with implicit or explicit statements that "the d-i
teams are assholes".
That is not being a team player.

Finally, Sven had the habit of blaming any breakage in powerpc
installations on changes "others" had made in d-i, repeatedly claiming
that core d-i people "do not care about other architectures", which is
patently untrue.
The real cause of the breakage was in most cases that Sven had failed to
keep up with developments in d-i and had allowed ppc specific code to
bitrot to the point where breakage occurred.
Blaming others for your own failures is also not being a team player.

I feel that if there can no normal communication between a team and an
individual, then that individual should not be a member of that team. The
revocation of Sven's commit access followed from that (after discussing
it with other core team members).

(I do fully agree with most of the other points made by AJ in his mail,
which is available in the d-boot archives.)

Cheers,
FJP