Re: [MEETINGS] Cancel or reschedule meeting?

Not sure I'll be attending the meeting scheduled for Saturday either
(weekends are always a big "?" for me).
Here's a summary of the ongoing activities related with g-i:

* Fonts
-------
ATM some fonts are not yet available as official udebs, but
as tarballs fetched at compile time from [1]; this is not not
acceptable as a long term solution.
In particular here's a list of fonts file and associated bugreport:

- ttf-farsiweb_0.4-2.tgz     (#355447)
- ttf-tamil-fonts_0.4.7.tgz  (#358226)
- ttf-thai-tlwg_0.4.4-3.tgz  (#372799)

ttf-bpg-georgian-fonts (#356333) will be added to the above list
as soon as #373836 will be fixed.

In the meanwhile Dejavu 2.6 hit unstable (thanx Christian!!) and it
is now used as default font for g-i (screenshots in [6]).
The Wiki [2] has been updated and reflects most of the changes happened
recently. I personally think that the future looks bright and it's just
a matter of time before the udebs will hit the archives.

* new core libraries
--------------------
There's a lot going on with the packaging of the new generation of
graphic libraries used by the g-i; a lot happened after the
Extremadura session in January and I'm confident that in the short
term we'll have a set of new libraries that will fix most of the known
problems.
The only missing pieces are now libcairo2 (>= 1.1.6) compiled with
directfb backend and gtk+-directfb (>=2.8.17)

as for libcairo Dave Beckett (maintainer of the package) produced some
test packages (1.1.6 and 1.1.8 a few days later) which have been tested
and used to produce unofficial iso images (see [3]).
It is still unclear if libcairo2-directfb-dev.deb has to be produced
along with the other (u)debs or not; IMHO it should be produced, in case
somebody wanted to use directfb instead of X, since directfb is in
the archives.

Once libcairo will be ready the gnome team will have all the components needed
to produce the last piece of the huge stack!
Josselin Mouette and Sebastien Bacher have been involved in the discussion,
and the
final agreement is that the gnome team will produce the (u)debs needed for g-i
based on 2.8.x libraries integrating a patch produced by Attilio [4], later
on
revised and adapted by myself [5] in order to get it working with the new
cairo
packages.
Note that now gtk+2.8.18 has been released, but the very same patch is still
compatible.

It would be great if cairo and gft+-directfb were available as official
packages
ASAP (note that the gnome team could already start working on their package by
using
what Dave has made available)

Everything else is ready for the switch (rootskel-gtk needs a patch I already
created
in order to work with the new libs)

I'm really looking forward to see all of this happening.

regards,
Davide

[1] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/
[2] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/GUIFonts
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2006/06/msg00687.html
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-gtk-gnome/2006/05/msg00064.html
[5] http://www.webalice.it/zinosat/gtk+-directfb_2.8.17.patch.gz
[6] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/gtk-frontend/screenshots/20060614_dejavu2.6/

Naviga senza limiti con 4 Megabps di velocita' a soli 19,95 Euro al mese, ATTIVA SUBITO e hai 2 MESI GRATIS!

In piu', se sei raggiunto dalla rete Tiscali, telefoni senza pagare il canone Telecom. Comincia subito a risparmiare!

http://abbonati.tiscali.it/prodotti/adsl/tc/4flat/