Re: This is getting ridiculous ...

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 01:33:08PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 07:38:00PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > I think that the situation with my commit access to the d-i svn repo is
> > getting burdersome and over ridiculous.
>
> Sven, you've already ignored my recommendation on how to deal with this,
> and the question remains before the technical committee, from your request.

Anthony, when i first came to you, i asked you to help the social problem we
had, and what happened that you made an unfair one-sided judgement, which has
as a result to let the issue fester (err, don't know how to say this in
english, but basically, it is something that you have to keep inside and which
only continues to hurt you and cannot heal).

> If you'd like to remove the packages you're listed as an Uploader:
> for from d-i svn so that you can maintain them yourself, I'm happy to
> support you in that. But I can't support your continued pressuring of
> Frans and the other members of the d-i team to reinstate your svn access.

That is not the issue. I believe that the packages are better in the d-i
subversion tree, and that the best way to handle this is to have direct
access.

If you have read the log, you will see that i am contemplating using a shell
script which will do some kind of advanced : svn diff | mutt
submit@bugs.debian.org, and then we have Christian or Holger or whoever apply
them. This is what is asked of me, by you and what apparently satisfies Frans.

Now, is it just me, or is this not childish and ridiculous ? What aim does it
serve ? We bother others who have to checkin, and i have to make more effort
to contribute, and there is no valid reason for that except so that frans can
keep the control of me and have some leash to ensure my good behaviour, just
because we were unable to solve this social mess without humbling me ?

And on top of that, i am not allowed to make bitter and derisive jokes or
comments about the ridiculness of it, sorry, but if you where able to look at
this like it really is, how could you in any way not laugh at it ?

> You seem to have formed the impression that people with subversion
> access are better than people without, or at least are seen to be that
> way. That's not the case.

Well, it is clear that the current resolution is aimed at me being under the
control of Frans and meak and submissive, or i will continue to be punished
thus. This clearly indicate that frans, you and others believe that Frans is
better than me, and that i am not to be thrusted with direct commit access.

So, tell me again that all is well, and everyone was threaten equally and
fairly in this ?

> > 19:09 < svenl> fjp: damn, i forgot the smiley, let's try it again.
> > 19:09 < svenl> fjp: would be easier if you restored svn commit. :)
> > 19:09 < svenl> (was not going to discuss it, but to make a friendly joke).
>
> > 19:10 < svenl> fjp: i mean, i am seriously bitter about this, and previous
> > incarnation of that discussions where indeed rant.
>
> > 19:12  * svenl is hoping to wear fjp down by pointing out the exceeding
> > ridiculness of the whole issue, though, so i am no more going to rant about it
> > :)
>
> > 19:13 < svenl> fjp: so, you want to put me in a bad-mood again, and that we
> > restart a dispute and flamewar ?
>
> FWIW, "i am seriously bitter about this", "hoping to wear [you] down",
> and "restart a dispute and flamewar" != "friendly joke".

Why not ? The standard of debian communication is hardly of the meak and
submissive kind, and from what i hear, insulting me behind my back on debian
irc channels has become the sport of the month among DDs, and if you look at
your own communication, you will see that you probably are not very far from
having the exact same of behaviour that is reproched to me.

Frans took the decision to kick me out of d-i, and continuously takes the
decision to let this mess continue to be by refusing to see his own part of
fault in this issue, and that by continuing in this way will only prolong the
social problem undully. You cannot humiliate someone, and hope that everyone
gets well again.

And i do question the ability of Frans to be able to be admin of the alioth
d-i project, as well as i question the way you chose to solve this social
issue, to drag it forever instead of solving it quickly, like i asked you to
do the first day.

So, there is only two ways this can end, i leave any d-i (and maybe debian
work at all) forever, and fork what i need for my professional life, or Frans
comes to his sense, and forgets about his petty vengeancve against me.

Friendly,

Sven Luther