Re: Status of LVM/RAID in d-i?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 04:35:53PM +0200, Christophe Chisogne wrote:
By not using root on lvm on raid, I naively thought that it'll avoid
boot problems etc, but I was very wrong.

1. partman wanted to update the partition table on /dev/md2,
  which seemed to lead to big problems (like cat /proc/mdstat
  hang, then d-i hang/crash) So I guess lvm on raid is not (well?)
  supported by current d-i. (Resolved by manually creating PV, VG, LVs)
  If it's unsupported, it's my fault. But then I think partman should
  make it impossible to create lvm on raid on partitions.

2. I also had problems because /boot and / were on different partitions
  (grub and lilo both failed). I used a separate /boot to avoid those
  kind of problems ; bad idea apparently. Resolved by reinstalling
  (from scratch) with /boot and / on the same partitions.

3. On another box, an initrd bug prevented the box from loading
  (could not find VG, because of missing ide/dm-mod modules)
  (Resolved by manually editing /etc/mkinitramfs/modules
  and dpkg-reconfigure linux-image-2.6...)

For the record, several of these seem to be lvm2 bugs:
#292070 - Unable to create VG on md device with newer lvm2
#330900 - LVM2 does not scan non-partitioned block devices
#351679 - upgrading lvm2 makes lvm2-rooted machines unbootable

/ David