Re: RFC: [powerpc] fixing quik-installer

Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> I plan on fixing quik-installer so that it actually works (apparently
> it currently never works).

IIRC Colin wrote it but may have never actually been able to test it
himself, so I'm not really suprised if it's never really worked.

Is the problem just that you need a serial console to see the system
boot up though? That doesn't sound like a total "never works", just
annoying if you don't have one..

> This would involve modifying the
> openfirmware variables for the boot device, as well as the of variables
> for console.  The reason I'm requesting comments, is that it would mean
> using d-i could result in a system that won't boot *anything* until you
> open the case and reset the nvram.

> Maybe it'd be okay with a big scary warning and a pointer the manual
> section that I'd add with how to recover (basically the above not on
> resetting nvram, only prettier and more verbose, and with pointers to
> other web pages with cuda/nvram info)

IMHO you need both the big scary warning and the recovery instructions.

--
see shy jo