Re: How to deal with bad floppies/cd's

Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> I've noticed that if a udeb fails to load from a floppy that the
> installer is unable to recover gracefully.  First you get an error
> message, but once you press ENTER, it get locked in a loop where it
> draws a black screen, then a white screen, and back.  This presumably
> affects a cd with a bad udeb as well.

I've never seen anything like this except when something very badly broke
causes cdebconf to enter a crash loop. I'd suggest looking at the logs and
figure out what's breaking it, this is not normal behavior when failing to
load something from a floppy. Expected behavior is to display this error
message and let the user retry or abort:

 There was a problem reading data from the floppy disk. Please make sure
 that the right floppy is in the drive. If you continue to have trouble,
 you may have a bad floppy disk.

--
see shy jo