Re: kernel/d-i/security/release meeting at DebConf6

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 01:52:47PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Perhaps we disable new kernel features for etch 1/2?  e.g., limit new
> > feature to new hardware support.  For example, we wouldn't want to
> > turn on something as drastic as preempt in a stable update.
>
> So how do you structure this?  I would expect that updates limited to new
> hardware support shouldn't normally change the kernel ABI at all, which
> makes it hard to make both the old and new kernel versions available for
> installation.
>
> If it is a new kernel ABI (either because the version number has simply been
> changed on it, or for other reasons), what gets done with out-of-tree module
> packages?

If ever the new out-of-tree module and d-i kernel reunification is in place,
it will be easy enough to rebuild all packages which depend on the abi-changed
kernel.

This means that all those out-of-tree modules need rebuilding, and maybe a
source change if they are hit by the abi breakage. They should thus be
included in the original etch 1/2 process, the same as with abi breaking
security upgrades.

Friendly,

Sven Luther