Re: Persistent device names

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 01:00:45AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> - We should like to keep support for devfs and regular device names in
>   the installer; loosing that would mean no support for 2.2/2.4 installs
>   (although those are likely to be dropped anyway) and no support for
>   installs of Sarge and I think may be a problem for debian-edu.
>   However, if it is unavoidable, we could drop this requirement.

As we don't use the devfs names in the installed system, the removal of
support for them will not affect sarge.

> - Are there likely to be architecture specific issues with persistent
>   device naming?
> - Or with filesystems other than ext2/ext3?

Nope. It is just another name for the same device.

> - A special case is for installations from usb-stick in combination with
>   a scsi or SATA harddisk controller. In that case d-i will see the USB
>   stick as the first SCSI controller (sda) and the real SCSI/SATA
>   harddisks will come after that. This also results in errors on reboot
>   as the grub setup and fstab will be incorrect as then the usb stick will
>   not be present and sda will be assigned to the real disk controller.
>   Similar cases for installs to any kind of external disk drive.
>   It seems to me that persistent device naming will probably fix fstab in
>   this case, but possibly not the grub configuration.

The root parameter on the kernel command line needs to include the
persistent name. This will fix the boot but not the mapping which is
needed to instlal grub again.

> - Probably unrelated, but worth mentioning. If the user installs to hdb
>   and has BIOS set to boot from hdb, the grub configuration will be
>   incorrect. (Same for hdc, hdd of course.)

-v?

> - Identify where changes will be needed. This will be at least partman
>   and will probably include most bootloader installers.

And we should drop the devfs compat rules from udev. At least in my
tests they produced more harm than good.

Bastian

--
There is an order of things in this universe.
		-- Apollo, "Who Mourns for Adonais?" stardate 3468.1