Re: Running debian-installer from the command line?

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 10:01:31AM +0200, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been scanning all available resources and not found anything, so
> I'm turning here for help.
>
> I'd like to run the Debian installer from a command line.
> The machine was booted from the network and is running Linux (not
> necessarily Debian) from a RAM disk, so there's no need for UML, chroot,
> or other ways of sandboxing the install.
> However, the only way to access the machine is through SSH. No attached
> console, no serial console. In other words, approaches that reboot the
> machine to make the installer start won't work for me.

In that case, what you need is not debian-installer; rather, you'll be
wanting debootstrap, which allows you to install the required packages
to get the base system on a partition.

Note that debootstrap does not take care of installing ssh, a
bootloader, or anything else; that you have to do for yourself.

--
Fun will now commence