Re: debconf hangs during sarge/etch install

On Mon, May  1, 2006 at 12:37:11 +0200 (+0200), Frans Pop wrote:
> On Monday 01 May 2006 11:59, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> > So I've used Kenshi Muto's excellent backports and things are _mostly_
> > working.  However in the preseed/late-command section I install some
> > extra packages and this is hanging/failing handling the debconf
> > commands in postinsts (and anywhere else).
>
> How exactly do you install the extra packages?
> Please provide the full late-command line (and script if you use one).

preseed/late_command is set to:
wget $(debconf-get preseed/url).combined -O /target/tmp/combined;
chroot /target sh -x /tmp/combined > /target/var/log/combined.log 2>&1

(I've also tried omitting the redirection but that didn't help)

The script just does:
upon_exit()
{
  rc=$?
  if [ "$rc" -ne 0 ]; then
    echo "PANIC - something has gone wrong (rc=$rc)"
    sleep 3600
  fi
  exit $rc
}
trap upon_exit EXIT
apt-get -y install ssh

Someday I'll do this more sensibly (custom debootstrap scripts perhaps).

.deb packages upgraded from sarge to etch:
 - linux-image-2.6.15-1
 - debconf, debconf-i18n - 1.50
 - module-init-tools, libklibc, lsb-base, klibc-utils, initramfs-tools, udev
   (backports from Kenshi Muto)
 - busybox-cvs installed (wasn't used before, but needed by
   initramfs-tools)

.udeb files upgraded:
 - sata-modules, md-modules, reiserfs-modules
 - libc6, base-installer (1.56), debootstrap (0.3.3)

Thanks,

Adrian