Re: The powerpc port should be removed from etch release candidates ...

On Thursday 27 April 2006 13:59, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Perhaps my experience has been different, but I have noticed that when I
> don't have commit privileges to a particular repo or part of the project
> that submitting a patch to the responsible individual(s) usually yields
> results.  Though, I am not (yet) a DD, which may explain why am
> accustomed to working without the ability to directly commit.
>
> I am not trying to make a personal attack here.  I am simply saying that
> "I don't have write access" is a relatively lame excuse.  If everyone
> went by that mantra, there would be no DD-wannabees and the project
> would likely not have as many people going through the process of
> becoming DDs.

FWIW, and judging from the peanut gallery:
- Sven had commit access
- AFAIK he wasn't abusing his commit access, just raising actual problems
  and discussing fixes, before implementing them (though in a way that
  appears to stick sideways in the craw of Frans and several other
  important contributors)
- His commit acces was revoked without even telling him

If this happened to me I'd interpret it as telling me "we don't want your
help" too. And I honestly don't think that's an unreasonable interpretation
at all.

Given that I think classifying this as a lame excuse is uncalled for: why
would he go out of his way to submit patches after having been told they
don't want his help?
--
Cheers, cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)