Re: Debian installer CD problems

Quoting BDF5000 (bdf5000@cox.net):
> I am trying to install Debian 3.1 onto my Dell laptop using a CD-R with
> the disk image debian-31r1-i386-binary-1.iso. The website I downloaded
> the image from is
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/, and the
> kernel is Linux (none) 2.4.27-2-386 #1.
>
> When I got to the step “Load installer components from CD,” I got an
> error message stating that the installer could not copy a file from the
> CD. In addition, when I checked the CD’s integrity, a message said that
> it was not a valid Debian CD-ROM. How can I fix this problem?

Actually, the most probable reason is a corrupted CD. The message
shows up because the installer cannot find some expected
file(s). Which file is mentioned in the error message? If you have
its name can you try to check, on another machine, whether this file
is here and can actually be copied from the CD?

Apart from that, I'd recommend burning the CD again.

Also, maybe run "md5sums" on the ISO image you downloaded and compare
the result to the MD5SUMS file you will find at the location where you
downloaded the ISO image from.