Debian installer CD problems

I am trying to install Debian 3.1 onto my Dell laptop using a CD-R with the disk image debian-31r1-i386-binary-1.iso. The website I downloaded the image from is http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/, and the kernel is Linux (none) 2.4.27-2-386 #1.

When I got to the step “Load installer components from CD,” I got an error message stating that the installer could not copy a file from the CD. In addition, when I checked the CD’s integrity, a message said that it was not a valid Debian CD-ROM. How can I fix this problem?

BDF5000