Re: request clarification on sbp2 and tg3 : WAS: D-I Etch Beta2 - Status update (4)

On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 07:43:42AM -0400, Toni L. Harbaugh-Blackford [Contr] wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Sven Luther wrote:
>
>   > On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 01:52:49PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
>   > > I am very happy to announce that the debian-installer images targeted for
>   > > Beta2 are now in testing (except AMD64) and that daily (etch_d-i) netinst
>   > > and buisinesscard CD images using them are now available from [1].
>   > > These images use the 2.6.15-7 kernel.
>   >
>   > Can you add to the errata page (or tell me where to add it), the following
>   > three issues :
>   >
>   >   - 2.6.15-7 has on powerpc a clock drift issue which is fixed in 2.6.15-8.
>   >   - sbp2 is broken in 2.6.15-7, but fixed in 2.6.15-8, on powerpc, thus not
>   >     allowing an install to a firewire disk, or reading back a firewire disk
>
> Which downloadable install images include the fixed sbp2?

It should be in the current sid daily build images (which use 2.6.16 i think),
not entirely sure about etch beta2 though.  I have been out of touch though for
the past few weeks (sick and lot of RL work to catch up because of family issues
the past month), so i didn't follow for sure. I will try a Xserve G5 install
these next days though.

There is supposedly a new powerpc d-i maintainer, who should be able to reply
to you in more detail.

>   >   - the tg3 module is not included in the module .udebs, and as thus a network
>   >     install on machine with those broadcom ethernet controllers (like the
>   >     Apple Xserve G5) is not possible. loading the tg3.ko module by hand is a
>   >     known workaround.
>   >

> I am confused by this.  Is the tg3.ko module included anywhere on an installation
> cdrom, or do you have to download the kernel source and build it yourself?  What is

I saw that the tg3 module was included in a recent d-i kernel module .udeb
build, i am not entirely sure though, i filled a bug about this back then
though, and as said there is a new powerpc maintainer which should have taken
care of this.

> the best way to obtain tg3.ko if you need it for an Xserve G5?

Try the latest daily builds, and file an installation report if it is still
broken, and complain loudly here if it is not fixed yet :)

Friendly,

Sven Luther