Re: Network card driver

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 12:21:15PM +0200, Gombos Gergely wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'd like to install Debian with a netinst CD. I have an ASUS P5GD1 PRO
> motherboard with an integrated Marvell Yukon 88E8053 Gigabit Ethernet
> Controller. I have found Linux drivers on the company's page and tried them
> on an other Linux distribution (based on Debian - UHU linux). The package
> has an installer and it updates the sk98lin kernel module so that the
> network card can work (it doesn't work with the original one) or it can make
> a kernel patch and it can be compiled into the kernel. Anyway it needs the
> kernel sources.
> The driver can be found at:
> http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=107&pId=10.
>
> I tried to download some binary CD-s but the installer deleted the whole
> partition table on my 120GB winchester because there was only "automatic
> partitioning"! I thought that it would show a menu or something but no! I
> spent 7 hours restoring the old partition table, backing up data and
> reinstalling windows... but last year there WAS a nice partitioner in the
> debian-installer.

Every version of the installer I have used does give a menu.  The
options on the menu are:
automatic partition (delete all data on disk)
use largest free space (if there is any on the disk)
manual partitioning

Or at least something very similar to that.

> So the questions are:
> -is it possible to install it with the debian installer?

You might be able to install using the 2.6.15 based sarge installer
someone has made.  The drivers in that one should be a lot newer than
what is in 2.6.8 in sarge.

> -or is it possible to install a basic system with a gcc and kernel sources
> etc., install the driver and then download more packages?

Well if you install from the full CD or DVD 1 then you don't need any
network connection at all.  Not sure how many CDs you need to get the
kernel-source package and utilities to compile it.  Certainly DVD1
should cover it (although that's a lot to download just for that).  I
would look for the updated (unofficial) installer instead.

> -or even to integrate it into the kernel from now on officially?

Once released, nothing new is ever added.  Only bug/security fixes.

etch will likely install fine (etch being the testing release which is
going to be the next stable release sometime in the next year or so
(hopefully)).

Len Sorensen