Re: Installing on a machine with nvidia RAID

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 16:26, David Goodenough wrote:
> I have a machine (a Tyan GT24) with two SATA disks, both of which are
> in raid mirror.
>
> Without the RAID setup, the current etch beta installs fine.
>
> With RAID however neither GRUB nor LILO seem to like the disks.

That implies that partitioning was not a problem?
What driver is used with this RAID setup? If this is the kind of setup
that needs dmraid I'm surprised as Debian Installer does not support
that.

> Grub says it installed to (hd0), but when you boot it clears the screen
> and just says "GRUB " at the top left and hangs.
>
> Lilo will not install, it offers /dev/sdb, /dev/sda1 and other as
> locations to install itself (note not /dev/sda) and fails on both the
> specific ones and also of you choose other on /dev/sda.
>
> The only HOWTOs on installing Linux on an nVidia RAID system seem to
> be for Gentoo, and rather ominously talk about requiring a custom
> kernel.
>
> Does anyone know how to install such a machine?

It seems to me the problem here is with the bootloaders and not with the
installer. I suggest you file bugs against grub and lilo about this and
work with their maintainers to resolve this.

Cheers,
FJP